St.Eustatius


St.Eustatius, affectionately called Statia, is approximately 5 miles long and 2 miles wide,

covering a total of 11.8 square miles. The island has a population of 3400 and is located in the north eastern Caribbean.

Statia was sited by Christopher Columbus in 1493. In 1636, near the close of the 80-year war between Holland and Spain,

the Dutch took possession. Statia was a major trading center with some 20.000 inhabitants and had thousands of ships calling

at her shores. Statia remembered as the emporium of the caribbean, was nicknamed "The Golden Rock", reflecting its former

prosperous trading days and wealthy residents.

Source: St.Eustatius tourism. www.statiatourism.com